Prefer to listen?
Do you remember the story of David and Goliath?
David would never have stood a chance in an open fight against the giant Goliath, but in a most dangerous situation he kept his cool and beat him using his slingshot.
I am reminding you of this to illustrate two very important principles for the use of your personal action power:
1. In any situation there is always a spot where a minimum use of your energy can produce maximum results.
2. The secret in finding these strategic points of attack is to use a relatively strong energy against a relatively weak spot.
You can use these principles to reach two types of success:
A. the success in your own eyes, and
B. the success in other people’s eyes.
In your own eyes you are successful if you achieve something you can be proud of. Your strong point here would be that you love something, let’s say, playing the piano. Your relatively weak spot would be that, being human, you need your own recognition.
So if you concentrate on learning the piece you love most, to play it really well in public, then, like David, you used your strong point (love of music) against your own weak point (need for self-recognition) to achieve something really great.
In other people’s eyes you are successfull if you are really good in fulfilling their needs and serving their personal interests.
To stretch our musical example a little further: if your audience happens to love the same piano piece as you do, you can kill two birds with one stone as it were. You can be proud of your own achievement and of their applause.
If not, next time you think of a new repertoire, you might direct your energy a little more to the most popular taste of your audience.
So what can you take from this lesson?
1. Find out what you love to do and get really good at it.
2. Find out what other people like or need in relation to your best skills and provide these to them.
3. Always look out for the strategic points of attack where you can achieve maximum results with a minimum waste of energy and effort.
These are the places where the potential breakthroughs to your favourite dreams and goals lie.
See you in the next lesson.
Personal and Business Coach
Illustration: © Jay Zeutsch